We’re dads and we all ride and we designed our bikes for every size and ability kid to ride safely, comfortably and nimbly the way we do on our bikes. We build every Cleary bike by hand from thin gauge steel and alloy component parts to the highest quality specifications.
A handmade steel bike frame weighs virtually the same as an aluminum frame at the 12”, 16” or 20” size. Cleary’s steel frames are painted beautifully with three layers of paint and protective clear coat so they stay gorgeous.
Steel is strong. Our bikes have no rider weight limit. You can ride a Gecko, Hedgehog, Owl or Meerkat. (You can balance on a Starfish, but it’s very tricky. Please send us the video.)
Steel is tough. A parent (let’s be honest, it’s always a dad) drives over one of our bikes in his driveway at least once a month. We replace seats or pedals, but generally the frames survive with only a few scratches. Cleary bikes will survive anything your kids can dish out, and look awesome doing it.
- Available in Very Orange, Cool Moss Green, Cleary Blue, Sorta Pink and AstroTurf Green
- An amazingly lightweight girls and boys' bike at just 19 lbs
- Your first-grader will ride the Owl on trails, to school, all over the bike park and probably sleep with it in his room. (Sorry about that!)
- All Cleary Bikes will accept knobby mountain bike tires for extreme off-road use
- Tektro V-Brakes - Front and rear hand brakes designed specifically for little hands
- Slim, junior race-style vegan leather saddle designed to maximize a rider’s range of motion while minimizing chafing and weight
- 5mm Allen skewer on front wheel
- Internal cable routing
- Water Bottle cage mounts on down tube
- Three-piece crank and square taper bottom bracket
- Reinforced steel fork
- Single speed drivetrain
- Grips, riser handlebars and brake levers designed for small hands (slightly wider than on the Hedgehog)
- Expert bike geometry centers weight between the rider’s hands and seat, which creates a stable, quick-handling bike
- 32x19 gear ratio
- Flip flop rear hub enables two freewheels to be mounted at once, and a cog range from 13 teeth to 21 teeth
- Owl bikes wisely arrive 90% assembled. You install the pedals, seatpost, handlebars and front wheel, as outlined in the Cleary Bikes Assembly Manual and seen on our Assembly Videos.
- Best fit for riders with an inseam of 19" to 23"
- First time riders feel safest with their bottom on the saddle and their feet flat on the ground. That's how a child with a 21" inseam will fit the Owl with the seat post dropped as low as possible. Once kids get more comfortable on two wheels, they'll want to sit on the saddle with the balls of their feet on the ground. Thus, a confident rider with a 19" inseam and a first-time rider with a 21" inseam may both feel comfortable with the same set-up on their Owl.
|Standover Height (top tube) ||505mm/20"|
|Top Tube Length (horizontal) ||455mm/17.9"|
|Top Tube Length (actual) ||435mm/17.1"|
|Seat Tube Length ||240mm/9.4"|
|Seat Post Diameter ||25.4mm|
|Seat Tube Angle ||71 degrees|
|Head Tube Length ||100mm|
|Head Angle ||70 degrees|
|Bottom Bracket Height ||227mm/9"|
|Bottom Bracket Width ||68mm|
|Chain Stay Length ||355mm/14"|
|Rear Drop-Out Width ||112mm|
|Fork Drop-Out Width ||100mm|
|Wheelbase Length ||842mm/33.1"|
|Stack Height ||419mm/16.5"|
|Reach Length ||318mm/12.5"|
|Rider Inseam ||19" to 23"|
|Alloy Riser Handlebar Width ||520mm/21"|
|Leather Saddle Length ||21.5mm/8.5"|
|Alloy Stem Length ||50mm|
|Alloy Stem Diameter ||1"|
|Headset Diameter ||1"|
|Brakes ||Tektro front & rear V-brakes|
|Crank Length ||127mm|
|Front Chainring ||32 tooth|
|Rear Cog ||19 tooth|